Designed for reliability and patron comfort
Our newly released EDM motorized drop arm turnstile is another superior Alvarado product. The EDM’s modular design and attractive brushed finish stainless steel cabinet look and function great in any indoor or outdoor environment. Crafted from high-quality components, the EDM’s motorized drive system uses minimal power and provides a smooth, controlled and quiet rotation. Alvarado’s intelligent drive system allows near touchless user passage and provides a very comfortable passage width. The EDM comes in two cabinet styles, square end and bullnose end.
- Motorized arm rotation
- Automatic arm self-centering
- Field configurable for single direction or bi-directional operation
- Hidden anchoring—no exposed bolts or fasteners
- Designed for long term continuous use
- Single passage control
- Easy to install and maintain
- Great looking product, regardless of finish
- Top quality service and support
- Hinged lid and interior panels provide easy service and installation access
Ready to meet your needs
Cutting edge technology provides superior control
The EDM provides bi-directional access control when implemented with a facility access control system, or any device that can provide a dry contact output such as a push button. In controlled passage mode, upon receipt of a valid credential signal, the turnstile unlocks and the motorized arms move forward slightly in the passage direction to prompt the user. With just a light touch of the horizontal arm, the motor initiates rotation allowing near touchless user passage. When the rotation is completed, the turnstile sends a rotation signal that notifies the access control system that passage has occurred and the turnstile relocks in the home position, ready for the next activation.
The EDM provides very fast throughput. In heavy use periods the turnstile stacks activations, processing users as quickly as they can scan their credential and walk through the turnstile. The EDM supports both card-in / card-out and card-in / free exit operation. Either direction can also be closed, in which case all inputs are ignored. Three position key locks on the underside of the turnstile fascia allow the turnstile to be placed in any of the available passage modes.
Card readers are easily integrated with the turnstile. As an option, readers can be mounted on the turnstile lid. Alvarado can also provide a lid cutout that allows the installation of standard sized proximity readers underneath the lid. Optional LED notification lights can also be added to give notice of presented credential status to users.
The EDM’s drop arm or anti-panic functionality is fully automatic. Upon loss of power or receipt of a dedicated fire input signal, the horizontal arm drops, providing a clear exit passageway. When power is restored or the fire input is removed, the EDM sounds a notification tone alerting that the arms will start a rotation signal to return the arms to normal operating position automatically. As an option, a battery backup can be installed in the turnstile. With this option, on a loss of power, the turnstile continues to function normally. The turnstile will still drop the horizontal arm upon receipt of a fire system input and return to normal operation when the input is removed. The turnstile can operate for approximately three hours on battery power.
The EDM comes with a configuration utility (EDM Utility) that allows adjustment of configurable settings through software. Settings are adjusted by plugging a laptop into the EDM’s advanced turnstile control board.
The EDM can also be used for crowd control or patron counting applications by placing one or either direction in free passage mode. For patron counting applications, each time there is a rotation, an output is sent to an incremental counter installed in the turnstile cabinet. Counts can also be sent to Alvarado’s GateWatch facility counting software, or the output can be sent to a third-party application.
- Smooth, precise motorized arm operation
- Near touchless user passage
- Wide passage width accommodates larger sized users
- Automatic drop arm functionality
- Easy configuration and low maintenance
- Extremely versatile operational features
- Safe and inviting for users
- Can be used patron counting and crowd control applications
Employee Access and Visitor Management
The EDM integrates easily with facility access control and visitor management systems through standard dry contact inputs and outputs. A dedicated fire system input is provided, and each passage generates an output to validate user passage after activation. The EDM can accommodate a wide array of credential readers. The EDM is a robust and versatile product for indoor or outdoor physical security applications.
- Simplified integration to access control and visitor management systems
- Flexible credential reader attachment options allows use of existing readers familiar to users
- Dedicated fire input and rotation feedback output as well as other available I/O
- Easily change modes with the turn of a key
Safety features you shouldn’t be without
The embedded intelligence and advanced hardware of the EDM provide secure and safe user operation. The motorized arm rotation is smooth, controlled and precise. Near touchless operation minimizes the required pushing force and the wide patron passage width comfortably accommodates most larger users.
During the arm rotation, if a person or object is in the rotation path of the turnstile arms, our intelligent closed loop motor drive system detects the impact and immediately stops the rotation. This pinpoint control of the motorized arms increases user safety.
In the event of an emergency situation the horizontal turnstile arm drops, providing a free passage path for exiting patrons.
- Safe, controlled rotation and self-centering arm rotation
- Intelligent drive system provides pinpoint control of rotating arms
- Free egress in emergencies or loss of power
- Software controllable rotation speed
EDM waist high turnstiles are independently tested and certified by LA Testing Labs. They are also CE marked.
EDM series turnstiles have many available options, including:
- Square or bullnose end (rounded) cabinets
- Color powder coat finishes in dozens of available colors
- Card reader cutouts for flush mounting of credential readers
- Card activation / user status lights (flush installed in lid)
- Turnstile open / closed status lights (installed in end legs)
- Backup battery power
- Resettable and non-resettable counters
- GateWatch counting software
Modular Post and Railing
Custom infill sections and modular post and railing are available to fill in open areas around installed turnstiles and gates. Learn more in our barrier and railing section.